ADVISEMENT AND REGISTRATION
WHAT IS ADVISEMENT?
Academic Advisement is the ongoing process of learning about your course and degree requirements; understanding college policies and procedures; and developing and implementing a plan to meet your academic goals. This process involves meeting with your academic advisor each semester or more frequently as needed.
Proper course advisement and registration are important parts of your experience at Cayuga Community College.
- Help students create a schedule that meets program requirements
- Act as guides when students have questions about the college experience
- Provide career and employment information
Students without advisors can:
- Request an advisor by contacting the Centers for Student Engagement and Academic Advisement
- Contact the Center for Student Engagement for assistance
- Students taking courses entirely online can contact Brandon Davis-Shannon at email@example.com
See your advisor when…
- You are thinking about dropping a class but need some advice
- You wish to seek advice on degree requirements
- You need clarification on a college policy or procedure but are not sure who to ask
- You wish to register for classes for the next semester
WHAT IS REGISTRATION?
Registration is the process of enrolling in courses for the upcoming term.
Each semester a period of 2 weeks called Advisement/Registration is set aside for current students to register for the next semester’s courses. Students are strongly encouraged to speak with their advisor to register for courses that meet degree requirements. Advisors post office hours of availability, and students are encouraged to sign up for an appointment.
PREPARE FOR YOUR ADVISEMENT MEETING
- Read the college catalog to familiarize yourself with all degree requirements
- Conduct a Degree Evaluation in myCayuga
- Review the course schedule
- Prepare questions to ask your advisor
Although course registration extends beyond the 2-week Advisement/Registration period, students who register early are more likely to create a schedule that meets their needs.