ADVISEMENT AND REGISTRATION
WHAT IS ADVISEMENT?
Academic Advisement is the ongoing process of learning about your course and degree requirements, understanding college policies and procedures, and developing and implementing a plan to meet your academic goals. This process involves meeting with your academic advisor each semester or more frequently as needed.
WHAT IS REGISTRATION?
Registration is the process of enrolling in courses for the upcoming term.
Each semester a period of 2 weeks called Advisement/Registration is set aside for current students to register for the next semester’s courses. Students are strongly encouraged to speak with their advisor to register for courses that meet degree requirements. Advisors post office hours of availability, and students are encouraged to sign up for an appointment.
CHECKLIST FOR SUCCESS
Download our Checklist for Success to get a head-start on the steps you need to take to have a successful semester.
Proper course advisement and registration are important parts of your experience at Cayuga Community College.
- Help students plan a schedule that meets program requirements and register for classes for the next semester
- Act as guides when students have questions about the college experience
- Provide career and transfer information
ACADEMIC ADVISING HANDBOOK
Download our Academic Advising FAQ Handbook to learn about academic advisement, course registration, policies, transfer planning and more!
HOW CAN I FIND MY ADVISOR?
You will be assigned an advisor early in the semester (before midterms). You will receive an email confirming your advisor assignment once the assignments are made. You can also find your advisor on your Degree Evaluation in myCayuga. To find your advisor’s name and email address in myCayuga in the Academic Profile area located under the Student tab, or in your Degree Evaluation. You will be able to find their name and email address. You can click the link below to connect with your advisor to schedule an appointment.*
CONTACT YOUR ADVISOR TO SCHEDULE AN ADVISEMENT MEETING.
* If your advisor is not listed, you should email them for an appointment.
PREPARE FOR YOUR ADVISEMENT MEETING
- Check your myCayuga account to see if you have any holds that would prevent you from registering
- Schedule a time to meet with your advisor
- Complete a degree evaluation
- Look at the course schedule and put together a draft schedule to review with your advisor
- Review your enrollment checklist in myCayuga to see what your next steps are in the process
REQUESTS TO CHANGE DEGREE PROGRAM (MAJOR) OR ADVISOR
If you are looking to make a change to your degree program or if you need to change your assigned advisor, complete the appropriate form listed below.
NOTE: curriculum changes can be made for the current semester prior to the last day to add a course. View our Academic Calendar to see important dates. After the last day to add a course, you can only request a degree change after advising begins for the following semester.