RESIDENT COSTS / CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCE
You are a Cayuga County resident if you have resided in New York State for one year and Cayuga County for six months immediately preceding the first day of classes. Proof of residence may be required.
You are an out-of-county New York State resident if you have been a New York State resident for one year and have resided in a county other than Cayuga during the six months immediately preceding the start of classes. Your tuition bill will initially show the double tuition rate. You must obtain a Certificate of Residence, signed by your County Treasurer, and dated within 60 days before the first day of classes. A Certificate obtained for the fall semester is valid through the following spring and summer sessions, provided enrollment is continuous. If you are an out-of-county resident, you must submit a Certificate each academic year. The College must receive the Certificate of Residence no later than 14 days following the first class.
You are an out-of-state resident if you do not fall in either of the two previous categories or are residing in the United States on a student visa (F-1, J-1) or a work visa (B-1, B-2), regardless of the length of time you have resided here.
If you are an out-of-county resident of New York State and you do not submit a current Certificate of Residence, or if you are an out-of-state resident, your tuition will remain at the out-of-county rate.
CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCE
A Certificate of Residence is required for New York State residents who do not reside in Cayuga County. In the absence of a Certificate, the out-of-state tuition rate is charged. All out-of-state and out-of-country residents are charged double-tuition.
- You are a Cayuga County resident if you have been a New York State resident for 1 year and have resided in Cayuga County for 6 months immediately prior to the first day of classes.
- You are an out-of-county resident if you have been a New York State resident for 1 year and resided in a county other than Cayuga. A Certificate of Residence is required from each county in which you have resided during the previous 6 months.
- You are an out-of-state resident if you do not fall in either of the categories above or are residing in the United States on a student visa (F-1, J-1) or a work visa (B-1, B-2), regardless of the length of time you have resided here.
How To Apply for a Certificate of Residence
A Certificates of Residence are issued by your County Treasurer or Chief Fiscal Officer, not by the College. It is the student’s responsibility to submit the affidavit/application (choose the appropriate link below) and any necessary documentation to the appropriate County Office in the time frame required by that county. Your Certificate of Residence must be signed by your County Treasurer and dated within 60 days before the first day of classes. The College must receive the Certificate of Residence no later than 14 days following the first class.
A Certificate obtained for the fall semester is valid through the following spring and summer sessions, provided your enrollment is continuous.
You must submit a new Certificate each academic year. However, the following counties will not issue a new certificate every academic year: Chautauqua, Cortland, Franklin, Monroe, Montgomery, Nassau, New York, Onondaga, and Ulster. For these counties only, the Certificate is valid for 1 year from the date issued.
1. Complete the Application for a Certificate of Residence and have it notarized.
Does your county require its own form? If your county or borough is listed below, select the link provided for specific information.
|Oswego County||Download Oswego County Form||Website Information|
|Essex County||Download Essex County Form||Website Information|
|Nassau County||Download Nassau County Form||Website Information|
|Westchester County||Download Westchester County Form||Website Information|
|Ulster County||Download Ulster County Form||Website Information|
|Suffolk County||See website||Website Information|
|All NYC boroughs||Download NYC boroughs Form||Website Information|
|All other counties:||Download Certificate of Residence Form|
2. Submit the notarized Application to your county with 2 of the following documents as proof of residency.*
One of your documents must be dated at least 1 year, but no more than 2 years old, and the other document should be within 30 days of the date of the application:
- Driver’s license
- Car registration
- Apartment lease
- Income tax return
- Utility bill
- Voter registration card
- TAP award certificate
- Rent receipts
- Your county may require that proof be in your name only.
- Some counties may allow you to submit a copy of a parental income tax return listing you as a dependent.
- New York City and Westchester County require that you appear in person to obtain your Certificate of Residence.
If you have any questions about your county’s requirements, contact your county office.
3. For notarized Application with photocopies of the documents, see your county to obtain the Certificate. Do not send the Application to the College.
4. When you receive the Certificate from your county, mail it to:
Cayuga Community College
197 Franklin Street
Auburn, NY 13021-3099