To view the following PDF files, you will need to Adobe Reader, a free download.


You may be eligible for Federal Aid from the U.S. Department of Education if you meet the following criteria: *

  • Are enrolled in a degree or certificate program
  • Are a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen
  • Have a high school diploma or GED
  • Demonstrate satisfactory academic progress
  • Are not in default on a Perkins Loan, Stafford Loan, PLUS or SLS Loan at any institution
  • Are not owed a refund of any federal financial aid at any institution
  • Are registered with Selective Service, if required
  • Have not exceeded maximum lifetime eligibility for loans, Pell & TAP.


The Federal Pell Grant program enables eligible undergraduate students to receive grants based on college costs and your family’s expected contribution (determined by factors such as family income and assets, size of family and number of post-secondary students in the family). Apply using the FAFSA (available online at You will receive a Student Aid Report, which you should review and keep for your records. No repayment of Pell Grants is required.


As an undergraduate student, you may be eligible to receive Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity grants. These grants are awarded based on exceptional need and circumstances, and are awarded to Pell Grant recipients first. When you complete your FAFSA, you have applied for FSEOG funds. No repayment of Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity grants is required.


This program, supported through Federal and college funds, is available if you can demonstrate financial need. You may be employed either on- or off-campus with public or nonprofit agencies. Earnings must be used solely for educational purposes. Apply through campus aid procedures. Bi-weekly payment is made directly to you based on wage and hours worked. Work-study awards cannot be used as a deferral on your bill.


There are two types of Federal Direct Student Loans – subsidized and unsubsidized. The main difference between these two programs is the Federal government pays the interest on subsidized loans while the student is enrolled. In unsubsidized loans, the student is responsible for paying the interest or has the option to capitalize their interest onto their principle.

These loans are available if you need financial assistance and are attending Cayuga at least half-time (six credits or more).

  • First-year students may be eligible to borrow up to a maximum of $3,500 in subsidized direct loans per academic year.
  • Students who have completed at least 28 credit hours may be eligible to borrow up to a maximum of $4,500 in subsidized direct loans per academic year.
  • Dependent students may be eligible to borrow an additional $2,000 in unsubsidized direct loans.
  • Independent students or dependent students whose parents can not borrow via a PLUS loan may be eligible to borrow an additional $6,000 in unsubsidized direct loans.

Loans are disbursed in two separate checks over the loan period. Repayment begins six months after termination of study or if you drop below six credits.

Additional loan or PLUS loan applications are available in the Financial Aid Office. A first-time borrower must complete a promissory note and entrance counseling online at The student’s promissory note and entrance counseling requirement remains active for 10 years while the student is actively enrolled.


Dependent students and parents with no adverse credit history may be eligible for this program. Annual loan limits are based on the cost of college attendance less other financial aid. An origination fee is deducted from the co-payable loan check. Repayment begins within 60 days at a variable interest rate not to exceed 10 percent. Contact the Financial Aid Office to apply.


Cayuga Community College is approved for full Veterans Administration educational benefits.


This program is available if you are a New York State resident (minimum for one year) attending college full-time (12 credits or more) in New York State. Part-time students who meet additional requirements may also be eligible.

You must be in Good Academic Standing to maintain eligibility. Awards are based on family income. Maximum awards may be reduced based on the New York State budget.

To apply, complete and submit the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. You will be directed to the electronic TAP application at the conclusion of the FAFSA process. You will need to list at least one school in New York State. Cayuga’s TAP code is 2005.

If you did not complete a TAP application as part of your online FAFSA, apply for TAP at after receiving a FAFSA acknowledgment. Cayuga’s TAP code is 2005.

Your award notification will be e-mailed to you. You will be paid through the College Business Office once your attendance is certified. A TAP award may only be used to defer tuition costs. No repayment is required.


This program is specifically for New York State residents enrolled in an approved program for at least 3 but fewer than 12 credits. You must have completed 6 credits at Cayuga in addition to maintaining Good Academic Standing according to Cayuga regulations for State aid. Eligibility is based on income.

You can apply directly to Cayuga using an APTS application. Deadline dates are July 1 for Fall and November 15 for Spring. Late applications will be considered if funds are available. Awards are based on tuition costs, availability of funds and financial need and may not exceed tuition. APTS awards may be used to defer tuition costs only. No repayment is necessary.


Information on other aid programs is available in the Financial Aid Office. Among these are U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs Aid to Native Americans, Regents Award for Children of Deceased or Disabled Veterans, Regents Award for Children of Deceased Police Officers and Firemen, and State Aid to Native Americans.

* Aid programs are subject to change based on funding and regulations from governing agencies. Applications for most programs and current procedures, recipient selection, award schedules, and responsibilities of recipients are available in the Financial Aid Office.