MECHANICAL TECHNOLOGY A.A.S.
PLASTICS TECHNOLOGY OPTION
This option prepares students for work as mold technician or process technicians in the plastics and polymer conversion industries.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Setup and operate injection molding and/or blow molding equipment.
- Select the appropriate plastic material and plastic manufacturing processes for various applications.
- Use quality assurance tools and techniques to improve plastics manufacturing processes.
- Use knowledge of production tools and equipment; hydraulics and pneumatics; and plastics manufacturing materials, processes and work flow methods, to and evaluate and resolve plastics manufacturing issues.
- Create professional technical written documents and effectively communicate technical information to appropriate audiences.
- Demonstrate professional responsibility: work effectively as a member of a project team; meet deadlines; show respect for coworkers; provide stewardship of resources, equipment and facilities.
Mold Technicians, Process Setup Technicians or Engineering Technicians in the plastics manufacturing industry.
Students should consult their advisor and/or the Coordinator for Transfer and Articulation in the Centers for Student Engagement and Academic Advisement for information on transfer planning. Early consultation to plan the most appropriate course sequence will optimize transferability.
MATH 102 competency or equivalent strongly recommended.
This option is designed to prepare students for a career in the evolving plastics manufacturing industry with hands on skills in the materials and processes, and production tools and equipment used in industry. Students will obtain a foundation in mechanical design and manufacturing fundamentals, and learn how to set up and operate injection molding and other equipment, and select the appropriate tooling and processes for plastics manufacturing.
|ENGL 101||Freshman English I||3|
|MATH 102||Intermediate Algebra (or higher) *||3|
|ENGR 103||Manufacturing Materials and Processes||3|
|MMT 101||Machine Tools I||3|
|MMT 141||Fundamentals of Plastics Technology||4|
|Freshman English II
|Applied Mathematics for Technologists
College Algebra & Trigonometry (or higher) *
|MMT 241||Plastics Technology: Injection Molding||4|
|ENGR 228||Solid Modeling||3|
|ENGR 207||Quality Assurance||3|
|Elements of General Chemistry
General Chemistry I
|MMT 221||Tool and Die Design||4|
|ENGR 230||Fluid Systems Design||3|
|MMT 242||Plastics Technology: Blow Molding||4|
|Health or Physical Education||1|
|ENGR 203||Applied Statics and Strength of Materials||3|
|MMT 245||Plastics Technology Capstone||3|
|Behavioral /Social Science Elective||3|
|TOTAL CREDIT HOURS||63|