The College has adopted an internal grievance procedure for the equitable resolution of complaints that do not relate to any other internal grievance procedure. The Consumer Complaint Procedure (CCP) does not include complaints that are academic (Academic Grievance Procedure), or related to any form of discrimination as defined in the Discrimination Grievance Procedure, or any other complaint for which the college has established a more specific complaint or grievance process.

In cases where there is no other formal or informal grievance procedure or policy established, a Consumer Complaint may be filed according to the following procedure:

  1. The New York State Education Department stipulates that consumer complaints for students may be filed within five (5) years after the occurrence of incident(s) that lead to the allegations. Students wishing to file a consumer complaint to NYS’s SARA portal, should file it within two (2) years of the occurrence or consumer-protection issue. Complaints should only be filed with NYSED after a student has exhausted the internal complaint processes of the College and the process with SUNY Administration. NOTE: Complaints about grades or student conduct violations cannot be appealed to NYSED or other state portals.
  2. A Consumer Complaint must be submitted in writing to either the appropriate College division or office involved in the complaint, or to the Director of Student Engagement in Auburn, or the Assistant Director of the Fulton Extension Center. The complainant may, but is not required, to utilize the CCP form, available in the Centers for Student Engagement and Academic Advisement on the Auburn Campus and in the Main Administration Area of the Fulton Center. A complaint that is not submitted on the CCP form must be in writing and signed and dated by the complainant. In cases where the form has not utilized the complaint should include enough specific information to allow the College to adequately investigate the complaint, including any requested resolution or outcome.
  3. In cases where the complaint is sent to the Director of Student Engagement or the Assistant Director of the Fulton Center, the consumer complaint will be forwarded to the appropriate division or office for review. The appropriate administrator, the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, the Vice President of Administration, or the Provost of the Fulton Extension Center, or designees, will investigate the allegations in the complaint. In cases of a requested resolution or outcome by the complainant, the administrator (or designee) will notify the complainant of his/her findings within forty-five (45) calendar days of receipt of the written complaint. Complaints that do not include a request for a specific resolution or outcome may be investigated, but will not require a written response from the College to the complainant.
  4. If a complainant wishes to appeal a finding or decision by the division administrator (or designee), he/she may do so by filing a written letter of appeal directly to the Office of the President within fourteen (14) calendar days of receipt of the administrator’s written decision/findings. An appeal may be filed only in cases where a specific outcome or resolution has been originally requested by the complainant.