MECHANICAL TECHNOLOGY A.A.S.
PLASTICS TECHNOLOGY OPTION
This program is designed to prepare students for employment in the field of mechanical design and drafting, with an in-depth course of study in the technological aspects of the design profession.
Computer-aided design and mechanical design concepts are integrated throughout the curriculum and used for second-year design projects. The curriculum incorporates generally-accepted design/drafting standards as well as subjects related to the construction and manufacturing industries, allowing graduates flexibility in seeking entry-level employment.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Setup and operate injection molding and/or blow molding equipment.
- Select the appropriate plastic material and plastic manufacturing processes for various applications.
- Use quality assurance tools and techniques to improve plastics manufacturing processes.
- Use knowledge of production tools and equipment; hydraulics and pneumatics; and plastics manufacturing materials, processes and work flow methods, to and evaluate and resolve plastics manufacturing issues.
- Create professional technical written documents and effectively communicate technical information to appropriate audiences.
- Demonstrate professional responsibility: work effectively as a member of a project team; meet deadlines; show respect for coworkers; provide stewardship of resources, equipment and facilities.
CAD designer, machine designer, tool designer, Architectural/mechanical drafter, engineering technician, mechanical designer, tool design, quality assurance, CNC machining.
Students should consult their advisor and/or the transfer counselor in the Centers for Student Engagement and Academic Advisement for information on transfer planning. Early consultation to plan the most appropriate course sequence will optimize transferability.
|ENGL 101||Freshman English I||3|
|MATH 102||Intermediate Algebra (or higher) *||3|
|ENGR 103||Manufacturing Processes and Materials||3|
|MMT 101||Machine Tools I||3|
|MMT 141||Fundamentals of Plastics Technology||4|
|Freshman English II
College Algebra & Trigonometry (or higher)
|MMT 241||Plastics Technology: Injection Molding||4|
|ENGR 228||Solid Modeling||3|
|ENGR 207||Quality Assurance||3|
|Elements of General Chemistry
General Chemistry I
|MMT 221||Tool and Die Design||4|
|ENGR 230||Fluid Systems Design||3|
|MMT 242||Plastics Technology: Blow Molding||4|
|Health or Physical Eduacation||1|
|ENGR 203||Applied Statics and Strength of Materials||3|
|MMT 245||Plastics Technology Capstone||3|
|Art Elective (ART 103, ART 112 or ART 113)||3|
|Behavioral /Social Science Elective||3|
|TOTAL CREDIT HOURS||63|