Any student planning to transfer to a four-year college upon completion of associate degree requirements should be aware of the procedures necessary for a smooth transition. Transfer is a relatively easy process. However, students seeking specialized programs should choose their course of study at Cayuga carefully to minimize future difficulties. Begin transfer planning during the first or second semester in order to apply for transfer during the third semester.

Consultation is available from the College’s the Coordinator for Transfer and Articulation in the Centers for Student Engagement and Academic Advisement and other faculty members. Students planning to transfer into a teacher education program should consult with the Centers for Student Engagement and Academic Advisement on their plans as soon as possible after registering for classes at Cayuga.

The likelihood of gaining admission to a particular program of study at another institution depends on:

  • Choice of appropriate course of study at Cayuga
  • Number of applications for a particular major at the senior college
  • Grade point average at Cayuga (institutions and/or majors in high demand are more competitive and require a higher grade point average for admission)

SUNY applications are available in the Centers for Student Engagement and Academic Advisement. A student may apply to four SUNY units with one application. A New York State resident who is in the process of obtaining a Cayuga associate’s degree and who is transferring directly to a SUNY baccalaureate campus may apply to up to four SUNY units with a waiver of the $50 per-unit application fee. An official college transcript must be sent from the Registrar’s Office directly to the undergraduate admissions office at the college(s) to which the student is applying. Students who have attended other colleges must request that those colleges also send transcripts.

For private or out-of-state colleges, contact their Admissions Office, and request a catalog and application forms for transfer students. Many college catalogs are available for student use in the Centers for Student Engagement and Academic Advisement.

Admissions counselors from four-year colleges throughout the state visit the campus periodically to recruit students and assist in the transfer process.


Transfer agreements with partner institutions ensure a smooth transition.

For more information, contact:

Vita Racko
Transfer Counselor


Each institution will conduct an evaluation of your transcript to determine which courses apply toward your major. You have the right appeal the evaluation of your transcript. To submit an appeal, visit

If you remain dissatisfied with the evaluation of your transcript, or you have not received a response in 15 business days, you may appeal to the SUNY System Provost by completing a Student Appeal Form and forwarding it to You can also send the completed form via certified mail to:

Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
SUNY System Administration
One University Plaza
Albany, NY 12246

The SUNY Provost will respond to your appeal within five business days of receipt. If the Provost modifies the institution’s evaluation of your transcript, the receiving institution will be notified to take appropriate action. For more information, contact Robert Kraushaar.