The Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is available from the federal government to assist parents in meeting the cost of their child’s education. These loans are made to parents of dependent undergraduate students who are registered at least half time (six credits or more) who are matriculated in a degree or certificate program.

Repayment begins 60 days after the last disbursement (for example: after the Spring disbursement for a Fall/Spring loan). Eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office, and the amount borrowed may not exceed the cost of attendance less any other financial aid the student is eligible to receive.

To borrow a PLUS loan for a student, the parent must be the student’s biological or adoptive mother or father. A stepparent is also eligible to borrow a PLUS loan if his/her income and assets were reported on the FAFSA. A legal guardian is not considered a parent for financial aid purposes. The Federal Direct Loan Servicer will complete a credit check on the parent borrower prior to approval.

Step 1.  Students and parents must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by using “FAFSA on the Web” at Once the FAFSA has been completed, you may apply for the Federal Direct Parent Loan (PLUS) as follows:

Step 2.  Print and complete the Request for Federal Direct PLUS Loan Form. Submit it to the Cayuga County Community College Financial Aid Office.

Step 3.  First-time parent borrowers must also complete and sign a Federal Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). If you have already signed a Federal Direct PLUS MPN previously for CCC or another Federal Direct Loan college (online or paper), you do not need to complete a new PLUS MPN.

Parents who have a FSA ID (used as the parent signature on the FAFSA on the web application) are now able to sign their MPN electronically on the web at Go to: “Complete New MPN for Parent PLUS Loans”. To complete an electronic MPN, parents will need to use their FSA ID as an online signature.

Parents who do not have a FSA ID may request a new or duplicate ID at Parents may also request the Financial Aid Office to send them a paper copy of their MPN for their signature, but there will be a delay while the MPN is printed and mailed to the parent.