NETTUTOR AND STAR-NY ONLINE TUTORING SUPPORTS
STAR-NY is a consortium of SUNY colleges and universities that have joined together to share tutoring resources to meet student needs for online tutoring better.
Like Cayuga’s CAS tutoring services, the goal of STAR-NY tutoring is to help students learn how to learn, not teach them what to learn. Tutoring is available for writing, math, chemistry, organic chemistry, biology, physics, psychology, economics, computer science, nursing, and accounting!
HOW STAR-NY WORKS
- Member schools post a link on their college website where their students sign in to the WorldWideWhiteboard®, which is a collaborative tool for online tutoring.
- Students enter a virtual room to work with a tutor one-on-one for many subjects.
- STAR-NY tutoring is available Sunday-Thursday evenings from 7 PM – 12 PM-midnight.
- Papers or problems can be loaded into the whiteboard, allowing both the tutor and tutee to write on them.
- A chat box is used for questions and responses.
NetTutor 24/7 online tutoring support is also available for all Cayuga online and evening courses. Tutors are available for most subjects.* NetTutor uses the same whiteboard technology as and works similarly to STAR-NY.
* NetTutor tutors are not currently available for GIS, sports management, and telecommunications courses.
HOW TO ACCESS NETTUTOR
Student steps to access NetTutor:
- Enter Blackboard.
- In your MY COURSES list, find Online Student Orientation. Click into it.
- In the menu to the left, click NetTutor.
Your instructor may also choose to make NetTutor available within your course in Blackboard. Look for a Help link in your course menu or for a NetTutor link in the Learning Modules/Content area of the course.
VIEW SAMPLE TUTORING SESSIONS
WEB BROWSER RECOMMENDATION
To access NetTutor, it is recommended you use Mozilla Firefox. There are compatibility issues with Microsoft Internet Explorer.
For more information, contact:
Dr. Terry Kupp
Directory, Center for Academic Success