OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY ASSISTANT A.A.S.
The curriculum is a recommended two-year course sequence. Students may opt to complete the program at a slower pace; however, all students are required to complete all graduation requirements within four years from the start of enrollment in the first OTA course. OTA 210 and OTA 211 (both level II fieldwork courses) must be completed within 18 months of completing the academic portion of the curriculum.
Requests for credit for experiential learning or transfer of OTA professional courses from another OTA program are not being considered at this time.
OTA courses are offered one time per year and must be taken in sequence starting in the Fall semester.
- The curriculum shown is a recommended two-year course sequence. Be advised that the two-year format is very rigorous.
- Students may opt to complete the program at a slower pace; however, all graduation requirements must be completed within four years from the start of enrollment in the first OTA course.
- OTA 120 is only offered during the summer. Be advised that some students may not be eligible for financial aid for summer coursework.
- OTA 210 and OTA 211 (level II fieldwork courses) must be completed within 18 months of completing the academic portion of the curriculum.
- OTA courses are offered one time per year and must be taken in sequence starting in the Fall semester.
- OTA courses are offered only on the Fulton campus. Other required courses may be taken at either the Fulton or Auburn campus or online.
- Requests for credit for experiential learning or transfer of OTA professional courses from another OTA program are not being considered at this time.
|Fall Semester 1|
|BIOL 203||Anatomy and Physiology I *†||4|
|ENGL 101||Freshman English I†||3|
|PSY 101||Introductory Psychology†||3|
|OTA 101||Introduction to Occupational Therapy *||2|
|OTA 103||Occupational Performance Across the Lifespan *||3|
|OTA 105||Clinical Conditions and Medical Terminology *||2|
|Spring Semester 1|
|BIOL 204||Anatomy and Physiology II *†||4|
|ENGL 270||Technical Writing†||3|
|OTA 110||Clinical and Community Practice IA *||1.5|
|OTA 111||Human Movement for Occupation *||2|
|OTA 113||Occupational Therapy Process: Birth to Adolescence *||4|
|OTA 115||Technology and Adaptation Across the Lifespan *||2|
|OTA 117||Professional Communication Skills for the OTA *||1|
|Summer Semester 1|
|OTA 120||Clinical and Community Practice IB *||1.5|
|Fall Semester 2|
|PSY 206||Abnormal Psychology†||3|
|SOC 101||Introductory Sociology†||3|
|OTA 201||Occupational Therapy Process: Adults and Elders *||2|
|OTA 203||Occupational Therapy Process: Mental Health Across the Lifespan *||2|
|OTA 205||Occupational Therapy Process: Physical Health Across the Lifespan *||4|
|OTA 207||Professional Transition and Management *||2|
|Spring Semester 2|
|OTA 210||Fieldwork II A *||6|
|OTA 211||Fieldwork II B *||6|
|TOTAL CREDIT HOURS||64|
PROGRESSION IN THE OTA PROGRAM
- A minimum passing grade of C (73%) must be achieved in each OTA course and in BIOL 203 and BIOL 204. A grade less than C (73%) is considered an unsuccessful attempt.
- A student is limited to one unsuccessful attempt in an OTA course or fieldwork placement (W or grade less than C).
- Students who do not successfully complete one OTA course may not continue on to the next OTA courses until that course is complete. Note that OTA courses are taught one time per academic year. Courses that were not successfully completed cannot be repeated until the following year.
- A second unsuccessful attempt of any OTA course or fieldwork placement (W or grade less than C) will result in dismissal from the OTA program.
- Students are required to maintain a GPA of 2.5 in order to continue in the OTA program and to progress to Level II Fieldwork (OTA 210 and OTA 211)
- Any student who has been dismissed or has withdrawn from the program must apply for re-entry through the OTA Program Director and must submit an OTA Re-entry Request to the OTA Program Director two months prior to the semester start date.
- Students must meet program curriculum requirements and follow the OTA program policies and procedures in place for the academic year in which they are readmitted to the OTA program.
- Re-entry at any level is not guaranteed. A student seeking readmission into the OTA program will be considered on the basis of the space availability and compliance with the re-entry procedure.
- All academic coursework must be completed before the start of Level II Fieldwork (OTA 210 and OTA 211).
- OTA 210 and OTA 211 must be completed within 18 months of completion of academic coursework.
- OTA courses must be completed within four years from start of the first OTA course.
The following grading system is used by the OTA faculty:
|Letter Grade||Numerical Grade|
|F||less than 60|
The candidate for the Associate in Applied Science degree in Occupational Therapy Assistant must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of 64 credits
- Cumulative average of no less than 2.0
- Minimum grade of C in each OTA and Biology course