OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY ASSISTANT A.A.S.
Completion of the ATI TEAS allied health entrance exam is required of all applicants to the OTA program. Admission to the OTA program is selective and limited to assure that the number of students enrolled in the program is proportionate to the available instructional and clinical resources.
We are no longer accepting applications for the Occupational Therapy Assistant Program for the Fall 2017 semester.
The next semester to apply for the Occupational Therapy Assistant program at the Fulton Campus will be the Fall 2018 semester. The postmarked deadline for your application and supporting materials (see below) is March 1, 2018. Applications will be available October 2, 2017. Refer to program requirements and deadlines for more information.
You are encouraged to first enroll in the Liberal Arts & Sciences / Math & Science A.S. program, which provides you with the opportunity to complete prerequisites and select required courses for the OTA degree.
The following prerequisites must be completed before applying to the OTA program:
- High school or general equivalency diploma (GED)
- High school average of B (80%) or higher OR cumulative college GPA 2.5 or higher
- Applicants who possess a GED will be accepted into the Liberal Arts and Sciences: Math and Science major until a college grade point average is established. Once a GPA has been established, students can then apply to the OTA program.
- Successful completion (grade C, 73% or higher) of high school or college biology with a lab.
- Successful completion (grade C, 73% or higher) of high school or college chemistry with a lab OR physics with a lab.
- Testing into Cayuga’s Math 102 or higher on the Cayuga placement exam or completion of Math 099 (grade C, 73% or higher) or higher or have taken Math 099 or higher at another institution.
- Testing or placing into Cayuga’s English 101-Freshman English 1 or completion of English 101 (grade C, 73% or higher) or higher.
- Satisfactory scores on the ATI TEAS allied health entrance exam due by the March application deadline. Cost of exam is incurred by the applicant. Specific dates for the ATI TEAS are to be determined. View the Admissions OTA process page for more information.
- Each OTA program applicant is responsible for assessing his or her own computer competency. Students must possess basic proficiency in computer use, including the ability to use databases and search engines to access information, word processing for writing, and email for attaching files as needed.
- Access to a reliable internet connection is required throughout the program.
Admission to the OTA program is selective. Attendance at an OTA information session is highly encouraged. Dates and locations for information sessions will be made available on this website.
- Must complete and submit a Cayuga Admission Application and an OTA program application, including official transcripts.
- Must complete ATI TEAS allied health entrance exam by March 1.
- Applications received by the March 1 deadline will take priority.
- Two professional references are required by the March 1 deadline.
- Applicants not accepted must reapply to be considered for admission the following year.
UPCOMING INFORMATION SESSIONS
|Saturday||November 18, 2017||F167||10:30 AM|
|Thursday||December 14, 2017||OTA lab (Storefront 19)||4:00 PM|
|Thursday||January 11, 2018||OTA lab (Storefront 19)||4:00 PM|
|Thursday||February 1, 2018||OTA lab (Storefront 19)||4:00 PM|
The Test of Essential Academic Skills (ATI TEAS®) must be taken by all applicants to the Occupational Therapy Assistant program at Cayuga Community College. Completion of the ATI TEAS® does not guarantee admission. Performance on the ATI TEAS® is one of the several factors involved in the OTA admission decision.
The ATI TEAS® is a four-option, multiple-choice test that measures a student’s ability in reading, math, science, and English and language usage. The time limit for the assessment is 3 hours and 29 minutes.
|Thursday||February 8, 2018||10:00 AM|
|Wednesday||February 14, 2018||10:00 AM|
|Tuesday||February 20, 2018||3:00 PM|
|Wednesday||February 21, 2018||10:00 AM|
|Tuesday||February 27, 2018||3:00 PM|
|Wednesday||February 28, 2018||10:00 AM|
|Thursday||March 1, 2018||10:00 AM|
All tests will take place at the Cayuga Community College Fulton Campus in the Center for Academic Success in the Learning Commons. We are located at 11 River Glen Drive, Fulton, NY 13069.
REGISTERING AND PAYING FOR THE ATI TEAS®
The cost of the ATI TEAS is $70.00 approximately. Registration and payment for the ATI TEAS® are done online at www.atitesting.com. Students must register in advance before testing. If students do not show up for their scheduled time, then they will have to re-pay to register for another test. The ATI TEAS® must be taken before the recommended application deadline of March 1, 2018.
ACCOMMODATIONS FOR TESTING
Cayuga Community College offers appropriate and reasonable academic accommodations to students with documented disabilities. Accommodations and services for students with disabilities are accessed through the Office of Accessibility Resources located within the Center for Academic Success. Applicants to the Occupational Therapy Assistant program may request accommodations for the OTA Entrance Exam. To ensure that disability-related accommodations are arranged for the OTA Entrance Exam promptly, applicants need to submit their disability-related documentation to the Office of Accessibility Resources at least two weeks prior to their scheduled exam date. Applicants should review the Office of Accessibility Resources’ Documentation Guidelines for information about what disability-related documentation will be required to receive accommodations for the exam. Once the Accessibility Specialist has reviewed the applicant’s disability-related documentation, he or she will be contacted by the Office of Accessibility Resources to discuss the authorized accommodations and the process for taking the OTA Entrance Exam with accommodative testing supports.
You will receive your ATI TEAS® results immediately upon completion of the test. Please save your scores and documentation of the assessment for your records. Through your ATI account, you may do a Focused Review after taking the assessment. This will help you brush up on skills you might have missed on the assessment. When you access your test results, you will be presented the opportunity to do a Focused Review.
The results of this pre-admission test will be one of the several elements evaluated in the application process to the OTA program. Performance on the ATI TEAS® alone does not guarantee admission. Your results are provided immediately to the college. You do not need to send your test results to Cayuga.
Re-testing is permitted one time with the purchase of an additional test. The entire test must be retaken, not just one component. Based on the student’s Adjusted Individual Test Score, the higher of the two scores will be used for evaluating the student’s application.
After being accepted into the OTA program, the student must show evidence of the following by August 15:
- Completed physical exam (to be updated annually).
- The health record must show no physical condition that would exclude safe performance of the Functional Skills of the OTA student.
- Completed Mantoux test and immunization records.
- Compliance with New York State health requirements.
The student must complete a healthcare provider CPR course and maintain certification throughout the program and fieldwork periods. Both American Heart Association certification (BLS for Adults, Infant and Child) and Red Cross certification (BLS for Healthcare Providers) are valid for two years. Online certification or re-certification is not accepted. “Heart Saver” and “Community CPR” do not meet the CPR requirement. Evidence of CPR certification must be submitted to the OTA program director by August 15.