What is Advisement?
Academic Advisement is the ongoing process of learning about your course and degree requirements; understanding college policies and procedures; and developing and implementing a plan to meet your academic goals. This process involves meeting with your academic advisor each semester or more frequently as needed.
Proper course advisement and registration are important parts of your experience at Cayuga Community College. This person is available to you during current student registration to act as a guide and resource when you have questions about your college experience. Many times your advisor can provide connections for career information which can be invaluable to you as you plan your future. Advisors will most likely have office hours and/or set up individual appointments as needed. Additionally, all campus employees have email addresses and most advisors use their email regularly as a prime source of communication.
A list of advisors will be available a few weeks before current student registration in Auburn in the Student Engagement office (in the main building) and in Fulton at the main reception area.
If you do not take any courses during the day and therefore do not have an advisor, but seek advisement you can do so in the following ways:
- You can request to be assigned a faculty advisor by contacting the Centers for Student Engagement and Academic Advisement in Auburn.
- You can make an appointment (in person or by phone) with a Student Engagement counselor.
- If you are taking courses entirely on-line and intend to earn a degree from Cayuga in that fashion, you should contact Brandon Davis-Shannon at firstname.lastname@example.org to notify him of your intent and to seek advisement.
You should see your advisor when...
- You are thinking about dropping a class, but need some advice.
- You wish to seek advice on degree requirements.
- You need clarification on a college policy or procedure, but are not sure who to ask.
- You wish to register for classes for the next semester.
What is Registration?
Registration is the process of enrolling in courses for the upcoming term.
Each semester a period of 2 weeks called Advisement / Registration is set aside for current students to provide an opportunity to register first best course selection for the next semester. It is during this time that you meet with your advisor regarding course selection and other areas as needed. Advisors will post their available hours for advisement sessions. It is up to you to sign up for an appointment.
This is a really important time for you to connect with your advisor to ensure you are on the right track to complete your degree requirements in a timely fashion. It is to your benefit to ensure you take the right courses for a most successful experience at the College.
When you meet with your advisor you should have...
- Read the college catalog to determine the requirements for your particular degree.
- Reviewed the semester course schedule on our website.
- Prepared notes for questions you wish to discuss.
By following this advice, you will have a more productive appointment with your advisor.
Note: It is in your best interest to register during these 2 weeks in order to have the best course selection. However, you can still register after the Advisement/Registration weeks in the Centers for Student Engagement and Academic Advisement or in the Registrar's Office.