Minutes of the regular meeting of the Board of Trustees held Wednesday, July 18, 2012, in the Business Industry Center, James T. Walsh Regional Economic Center on the Auburn Campus.
Mr. Camardo called the meeting to order at 5:00 p.m.
Dr. Larson administered the official oath of office to new Student Trustee, Kevin Coleman.
Mr. Camardo announced that the Board needed to adjourn into Executive Session to discuss labor negotiations.
Motion to adjourn into Executive Session made by Dr. Van Buskirk, seconded by Mrs. Carnicelli and carried following unanimous voice vote.
The Board adjourned into Executive Session at 5:02 p.m.
At 5:48 p.m. a motion was made by Dr. Van Buskirk to return to regular session, seconded by Mr. Edwards and carried unanimously.
1.0 COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC
2.0 CONSENT AGENDA
Mr. Camardo presented the Consent Agenda which consisted of the June 20, 2012, Board Meeting Minutes, the June 2011 Budget Statement, June 2012 Budget Statement, the June 2012 Monthly Bills totaling $1,027,501.56, the 2011-2012 Stipend Lists #22, & #23, totaling $408,640.22.
Motion to accept and approve the Consent Agenda made by Mrs. Carnicelli, seconded by Dr. Van Buskirk.
Motion carried following unanimous voice vote. (Appended 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4)
3.0 COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BOARD APPROVAL
3.1 Buildings and Grounds
Mr. Edwards stated that 3.3.1 and 3.3.2 have been pulled from today's agenda for further discussion.
3.3.1 Creation of Civil Service Classified Position:
3.3.2 Creation of Civil Service Classified Position:
Mr. Edwards presented the following personnel items and moved their approval.
3.3.3 Civil Service Appointment:
RESOLVED, that Mary Brooke Oropallo of 4135 State Route 41A, Moravia, NY be appointed from a Cayuga County Civil Service Commission certified list to the contingent-permanent position of Senior Typist at the Auburn campus at an annual salary of $35,123, effective August 1, 2012. This position will be vacated due to a retirement.
Motion seconded by Mrs. Bowen and carried following unanimous roll-call vote.
3.3.4 Faculty Job Title Change:
RESOLVED, that the job title of Coordinator of Disability Services be changed to Disability Specialist.
Motion seconded by Mr. Klink and carried following unanimous voice vote.
4.1 President's Report
Dr. Larson stated the Trustees received a copy of his activities for June/July and gave the following President's report:
- Enrollment highlights were reviewed with Summer 2012 FTE being 7.4% lower than the final Summer 2011 FTE. We have met 97% of our annual goal for 2011-2012. Enrollment for fall 2012 is projected to be 2 to 3 percent lower than 2011.
- The Fulton Certificate of Occupancy will be ready this week. We will take formal possession the first week of August. The move is scheduled for August 9 & 10. August 13 we will be open for business. The project will be coming in under budget.
- If any Board member is interested in a tour of River Glen before the fall semester begins, please let the President know.
- Dr. Larson has been in conversation with the Chancellor for her to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony for River Glen. No date has been set.
4.1.2 Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs
Vice President Herron highlighted the following:
- Wine glasses are courtesy of Professor William Prosser from the Wine Studies Program.
- One of the Telcom Department's student-produced programs was selected as a winner of the 2012 Telly Awards. This is a national competition with 11,000 entries.
- Placed in the top ten in National Phi Beta Lambda competition held in San Antonio, Texas.
- The Faculty Development Advisory Committee will work during the upcoming year to assess and recommend improvements to professional development and communication with our adjuncts.
- A phone bank has been created to support student retention and completion efforts.
- A campus committee has been tasked with developing prior learning assessment policy.
4.1.3 Vice President of Administration
Vice President Hutchinson gave the following report:
- Recently attended the New York State Chief Business Officer's meeting.
- Auditors are here this week.
- Economic outlook - we are in the right spot for affordability and workforce training.
- There are 191,200 FTEs in the community colleges.
4.1.4 Foundation Executive Director
Executive Director Hoffman gave the following report:
- The Foundation will be contacting firms that do feasibility studies for fund raising campaigns.
4.1.5 Fulton Associate Vice President
Associate VP Killoran gave an update on the River Glen campus.
4.1.6 Associate Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs
Associate Vice President Rosenthal reported the following:
- The Board's Housing Task Force met last week to review the RFP proposals. One did not meet the criteria and the group reviewed six.
- Mr. Rosenthal gave a brief overview of the proposals.
- On July 30 four finalists have been asked to make visual presentations and then a recommendation will be forwarded to the Board for their consideration.
126.96.36.199 Dean of Community Education and Workforce Development
188.8.131.52 Dean of Enrollment and Retention
Dean Anderson-Lindsay gave the following report.
Dean Anderson-Lindsay gave an update to the Board about applications and the differences that you see between Auburn and Fulton.
184.108.40.206 Dean of Technology
4.1.8 Student Trustee
5.0 OLD BUSINESS
6.0 NEW BUSINESS
Communication item were noted.
Information items were noted.
9.0 EXECUTIVE SESSION
Mr. Camardo announced that the Board needed to adjourn into Executive Session to discuss land purchase.
Motion to adjourn into Executive Session made by Mr. Fearon, seconded by Mr. Klink and carried following unanimous voice vote.
The Board adjourned into Executive Session at 6:30.
At 6:50 a motion was made by Dr. Van Buskirk to return to regular session, seconded by Mr. Edwards and carried unanimously.
Mr. Karpinski moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Mr. Edwards and carried by unanimous voice vote. The meeting adjourned at 6:51 p.m.
Recorded and transcribed by:
Carolyn L. Guariglia
Stanley J. Kott, Secretary
Board of Trustees