Minutes of the regular meeting of the Board of Trustees held Wednesday, December 14, 2011, in the Business Industry Center, James T. Walsh Regional conomic Center on the Auburn Campus.
Mr. Camardo called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
Ms. Kirkwood made a motion to add 2.1a Minutes from the Special Meeting of the Board of Trustees on December 7, 2011 to today's agenda. Motion seconded by Mr. Edwards and carried by unanimous voice vote.
1.0 COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC
2.0 CONSENT AGENDA
Mr. Camardo presented the Consent Agenda which consisted of the November 16, 2011 Board Meeting Minutes, the December 7, 2011 Special Board meeting minutes, the November 2010 Budget Statement, November 2011 Budget Statement, the November 2011 Monthly Bills totaling $1,251,665.71, the 2011-2012 Stipend Lists #7 & #8, totaling $50,226.11.
Motion to accept and approve the Consent Agenda made by Ms. Kirkwood, seconded by Mr. Fearon.
Motion carried following unanimous voice vote. (Appended 2.1, 2.1a, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4)
3.0 COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BOARD APPROVAL
3.1 Buildings and Grounds
- No Report
Ms. Kirkwood announced that the Finance Committee met and reviewed the preliminary external audit report for the year 2010-2011. Mr. Richard Ward, from Cuddy & Ward LLP was present to briefly go over the audit and answer any questions that the Board had. Mr. Ward stated that there was a big change in profitability and that 2010 was the best year the College has had yet. Ms. Kirkwood thanked Vice President Hutchinson and her staff for a job well done.
Motion to approve made by Ms. Kirkwood, seconded by Dr. Van Buskirk and carried following unanimous voice vote.
Ms. Kirkwood thanked Mr. Ward.
- No Personnel Items
4.1 President's Report
Dr. Larson stated the Trustees received a copy of his activities for November/December and gave the following President's report:
- A ribbon cutting ceremony will be held in the early fall of 2012 for the Fulton Campus at River Glen.
- President Larson has traveled to Washington, D.C. three times within the last 40 days. He has just returned from Washington after attending the Middle States Annual Conference.
- A copy of the enrollment report was distributed to the Board and Dr. Larson stated that for the 2011-2012 year-to-date FTE we are at 77%, and in good shape for enrollment.
4.1.2 Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs
Vice President Herron gave the following highlights from here report:
- Professor Steve Keeler presented a summary of a proposal for the School of Media, Writing and the Visual and Performing Arts (SOTA).
- The Veteran's Working Group has established initiatives to support student veterans.
4.1.3 Vice President of Administration
Vice President Hutchinson gave the following report:
- The first budget meeting was held on December 9.
- Trustee Camardo asked for an update on the roof project. VP Hutchinson stated that the funds for paving were re-allocated to the roofing project. A leak in the roof made this an emergency and it needed to be repaired immediately. Mr. Camardo asked that the Board be kept informed of projects in the future.
4.1.4 Foundation Executive Director
Executive Director Hoffman highlighted the following:
- Mr. Hoffman stated that Dr. Larson and Chair of the Foundation Board, Gail Cowley, asked Mr. Hoffman to do a self-evaluation. His report reflects a six-year progress report but commented that it is a "team effort".
- Mr. Hoffman stated that discussions need to continue between the Foundation and the Board of Trustees.
4.1.5 Fulton Associate Vice Presiden
Associate VP Killoran highlighted the following:
- Activities and events conducted by clubs at the Fulton campus.
4.1.6 Associate Vice President of Academic & Student Affair
- No report
18.104.22.168 Dean of Community Education and Workforce Development
- No Report
22.214.171.124 Dean of Enrollment and Retention
In Dean Anderson's absence, her report was distributed to the Board.
- Admissions Director, Bruce Blodgett, was present to answer questions.
- Dean Anderson and retired Professor Jeffrey Delbel have just returned from India.
126.96.36.199 Dean of Technology
Dean Taylor gave the following report:
- Finished revising the College's Acceptable Use Policy. The policy will be reviewed by the Executive Team in January.
- The IT Master Plan will be available on December 21.
4.1.8 Student Trustee
Trustee Wall gave the following report:
- Finals are going on this week.
- There was a lot of input from students for the Pizza with the President session; looking forward to another one in the spring.
5.0 OLD BUSINESS
6.0 NEW BUSINESS
- Communication item were noted
- Information items were noted
9 .0 EXECUTIVE SESSION
- Mr. Camardo announced that the Board needed to adjourn into Executive Session to discuss contract negotiations.
- Motion to adjourn into Executive Session made by Mr. Wall, seconded by Ms. Kirkwood.
- The Board adjourned into Executive Session at 7:05 p.m.
- At 7:22 p.m. a motion was made by Ms. Kirkwood to return to regular session, seconded by Mr. Wall and carried unanimously.
Ms. Kirkwood moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Mr. Fearon and carried by unanimous voice vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:23 p.m.
Recorded and transcribed by:
Carolyn L. Guariglia
Stanley J. Kott, Secretary
Board of Trustees