Minutes of the regular meeting of the Board of Trustees held Wednesday,
May 18, 2011, in the Business Industry Center, on the Fulton Campus.
Mr. Camardo called the meeting to order at 6:03 p.m.
Mr. Camardo stated that it was nice to be in Fulton and hopefully next year at this time we will be in our new campus.
1.0 – COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC
2.0 – CONSENT AGENDA
Mr. Camardo presented the Consent Agenda which consisted of the April 20, 2011 Board Meeting Minutes, the April 2010 Budget Statement, April 2011 Budget Statement, the April 2011 Monthly Bills totaling $1,232,348.27 Stipend Lists #18, #19 totaling $47,915.02.
- Motion to accept and approve the Consent Agenda made by Ms. Kirkwood, seconded by Mrs. Bowen.
- Motion carried following unanimous voice vote. (Appended 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4)
3.0 – COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BOARD APPROVAL
3.1 Buildings and Grounds
President Larson announced that the closing took place on the P&C property. He also mentioned that Michael Falcone had called today and would like to expand the parking lot at the current Fulton campus.
- Mr. Edwards presented the following personnel item and moved its approval.
3.3.1 Administrative/Professional Appointment:
- Resolved, that Dan Faulkner, of 4214 West Lake Road, Geneseo, NY, be appointed to the position of Banner Support Specialist at an annual salary of $59,615 (Grade 5 of the 2004-1021 Administrative Professional Group Contract) effective June 6, 2011. This position was held by Rolf Mikkelson who resigned as of January 14, 2011.
4.0 – REPORTS
4.1 President's Report
Dr. Larson stated the Trustees received a copy of his activities for April/May and gave the following President's report:
- Enrollment - Year-to-date we are at 98.6% of the annual goal.
- The CA$H program that is run by the United Way involves some of our accounting students. For the 2010 year, 737 returns were prepared, which is an increase of one-third over last year. The total refunds went from $ 1.2 million to $1.7 million. Much of that money came into the Cayuga County. There were 18 volunteers, ten of which were CCC accounting students.
- Mr. Edwards asked for an enrollment report on the Advantage Program. Dr. Larson stated that he would have that in July or August for the Board.
4.1.2 Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs
Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs: Vice President Herron gave the following report:
- Cayuga Community College has been selected to receive a Special Achievement in Geospatial Information Systems (SAG) award this summer at the 2011 International ESRI (Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc.) in San Diego, CA. This is the second time in two years that the College's GIS education efforts will be honored.
- The College has been invited to apply for a $25,000 Gateway to College National Network's Innovation Collaborative Grant.
- The State University of New York (SUNY) recently inaugurated a SUNY report card in an effort to provide a transparent method of accountability to the residents of New York.
4.1.3 Vice President of Administration
Vice President Hutchinson gave the following highlights from her report:
- Thanked the Board for the great discussion that took place during the Board budget workshop. Mr. Kott asked for a draft budget for the next two years.
4.1.4 Foundation Executive Director
Executive Director Hoffman gave the following report:
- Investments have exceeded $12 million for the first time in the history of the Foundation.
4.1.5 Fulton Associate Vice President
Associate Vice President Killoran gave the following report:
- Summary of the first week of May where a series of sessions were conducted to solicit input on the design of the new Fulton campus. Eighty percent of the feedback was very realistic.
4.1.6 Associate Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs
- No report.
220.127.116.11 Dean of Community Education and Workforce Development
Dean DeShaw gave the following report highlights:
- Enrollment is up about 22% from last summer.
- Discussed the brochure for the new Teachers Professional Development Institute. The brochure will be mailed out within the next week.
4.1.7. 2 Dean of Enrollment and Retention
- No Report.
18.104.22.168 Dean of Technology
Dean Taylor gave the following report:
- Gave an update on IT governance activities.
- Completed the IT re-vamp plan. This will be coming to the Board in the near future.
4.1.8 Student Trustee
Trustee Frame gave the following report:
- PTK will be selling flowers to raise money for the Japan Relief Fund.
- D3 Interactive Group is trying to create an iPod App for the College.
5.0 – OLD BUSINESS
Mr. Kott stated that there was nothing new on the student housing front, but mentioned that he had spoken to Robert Pine about working with a realtor.
6.0 – NEW BUSINESS
The terms of current Board officers will expire on June 30. Mr. Camardo appointed Ms. Bowen to chair a nominating committee with Dr. Van Buskirk and Mr. Fearon as members. He asked that a slate of candidates for 2011-13 be presented at the next meeting.
7.0 – COMMUNICATIONS
- Communication item were noted.
8.0 – INFORMATION
- Information items were noted.
9.0 – EXECUTIVE SESSION
- Mr. Camardo announced that the Board needed to adjourn into Executive Session to discuss property, contract negotiations, and budget issues.
- Motion to adjourn into Executive Session made by Mr. Kott, seconded by Mr. Edwards and carried by unanimous voice vote. The Board adjourned into Executive Session at 6:25 p.m.
- At 7:55 p.m. a motion was made by Mr. Edwards to return to Regular Session, seconded by Mr. Kott and carried unanimously.
- Mr. Fearon made a motion to add 6.2 - Letter of Intent to today's agenda, seconded by Mr. Kott and carried unanimously.
- Upon the motion of Mr. Kott, seconded by Mr. Edwards and carried unanimously, the Letter of Intent was approved for Dr. Larson's signature.
10.0 – ADJOURNMENT
- Mr. Edwards moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Mr. Kott and carried by unanimous voice vote.
Recorded and transcribed by:
- Carolyn L. Guariglia
- Jane J. Bowen, Secretary
Board of Trustees