Cayuga Community College is pleased to announce its 2012 Cayuga Leadership Academy has begun. Launched in 2010, the 18-month campus-based leadership development program focuses on honing the leadership skills of a motivated group of employees.
Supported by the SUNY Leadership Institute and College administration, the Academy helps participants enhance and strengthen leadership potential through an individual skill inventory, intensive half-day workshops, and other group activities throughout the first year. In the second year, participants initiate and complete a project that supports their personal skill development and that may encompass the College’s strategic plan. The participants also work closely with a mentor.
“This program is designed to cultivate leaders from within the College,” said Director of Institutional Research and Planning Carol Runge, who coordinates the academy in collaboration with the leadership planning team comprised of Terry Kupp, Chris Fama, and Sheila Myers. “Not only will it prepare our employees for future leadership roles, but it will develop leadership capacity for participants to respond to the challenges the College currently faces through their individual projects.”
During the kickoff event for the academy, College President Daniel Larson challenged the participants to consider all the elements of a good leader and to think of ways in which leaders at all levels of the organization can guide the College.
Lee Riddell, the director of the SUNY Leadership Institute, led an activity that had participants in small groups analyzing photos and describing the images in terms that related to leadership. The ice breaker opened the door to more in-depth discussions of leadership, current skills assessment, and goal-setting for the academy participants.
The 2012 Cayuga Leadership Academy participants are:
- Jacqueline Caputa, Assistant Comptroller, Auburn Campus
- Peggy Carroway, Instructional Assistant, Disability Services, Auburn Campus
- Cindy Clark, Typist, Auburn Campus
- Margaret Devereaux, Interim Library Director, Auburn Campus
- Chris Fama, Adjunct Professor, Auburn Campus
- Sue Gilmore, Associate Professor of Science, Auburn Campus
- Patricia Michel, Adjunct Instructor, Fulton Campus
- Sheila Myers, Coordinator of Experiential Learning, Auburn Campus
- Danielle Nolan, Admissions Representative, Adjunct Lecturer, Fulton Campus
- Kelley Rowley, Associate Professor, Fulton Campus
- Kathryn Scozzari, Adjunct Instructor, Auburn and Fulton Campuses
- Amy Valente, Business Instructor, Auburn Campus
- Eric Zizza, Transfer Counselor, Auburn Campus
For more information, visit http://www.cayuga-cc.edu/about_the_college/assessment/leadership.php.