Skip to Main Content View Site Map
Top of Page
Frequently Asked Questions


  1. Who can borrow items from the library?
    Cayuga students, alumni, faculty/staff, Cayuga or Oswego County residents and SUNY students. There is also a "reciprocal" category for students from colleges in New York State that are not part of the SUNY system. If this situation applies, ask a library staff member about borrowing privileges.
  2. How does a student or other patron obtain a library card?
    We require proof that you fit into one of the above categories. Cayuga students need to show their student ID or class schedule. For all other categories, a photo ID is required.
  3. Does the library have audio books to loan?
  4. How long can patrons keep items borrowed from the library?
    Books, Audio Books, music CDs – 3 weeks
    DVDs, VHS tapes – 1 week
    Periodicals – 2 days
    Loan periods for reserve items are determined by the course instructor.
  5. What if I forget to bring my library card? Can I still borrow items?
    Yes, with your photo ID you may still borrow library materials.
  6. What if I lose my library card?
    There is a $3 replacement fee.
  7. What happens if I lose an item that I borrowed from the library?
    If the lost item is still in print, you must either replace it or pay the list price plus a processing fee. If the lost item is out of print, you must pay a replacement fee plus a processing fee. Replacement charges and processing fees vary for periodicals, books and media items.
  8. Does the library have the required textbooks for current courses?
    The library does not routinely purchase course textbooks. The library might have a textbook on reserve if it was placed on Reserve by the course instructor.
  9. Can I request or suggest a book for the library to add to its collection?
    Yes. Materials request forms are available at both campus libraries.


Media and Computer Services

  1. Does the library have equipment to play VHS tapes, DVDs or CDs?
    Yes. At the Auburn campus, there are several group and individual study rooms where you can play VHS tapes and DVDs. In Fulton, there are two individual rooms in the Learning Commons where you can play VHS tapes or DVDs. All of the public access computers in the Learning Commons have CD players.
  2. Do I need to sign in to use the computers in the library?
    Yes. Both campuses require that students log in when using a college computer. Non-Cayuga students may use a library computer in the library by being logged in by a staff member as a guest.
  3. Is there wireless access in the library?
    Yes, both campuses have wireless access.
  4. Does the library have laptops that I can borrow?
    Yes. Both campus libraries have laptops that can be signed out for use in the library only. Printing from library owned laptops is available at both campuses.



  1. Does the library have a photocopier for public use?
    Yes, black and white photocopying is available at $0.10 per page. The Auburn library photocopier is located on the main level of the library. The Fulton library photocopier is located in the main hallway just outside the library. the charge is 10 cents per page
  2. Does the library have a typewriter for public use?
    Yes; there is no charge for use.
  3. Does the library have a Fax machine for public use?
    No. At the Auburn campus, the bookstore has a fax machine for student use. The fee is 50 cents for the first page and 25 cents for each additional page. There will be a public fax machine at the Fulton campus starting Fall 2011
  4. Are there any other printing and/or equipment usage charges?
    There are no fees for printing from microfilm, word processors or the Internet. Color printing is available at $0.25 per page.


Reference and Research Help

  1. When students need help with research, where do they go? Can students get help from off campus?
    At the Auburn campus, start by going to the information desk. You can also go to the circulation desk and ask for help. At the Fulton campus, students can go to the Library Services Desk or the Reference Desk. From off-campus, call (315) 255.1743 x 2296 or x2299 to reach the library on the Auburn campus. Call (315) 592.4143 x3019 or x3073 for the library at the Fulton campus.
  2. Can I Chat with a librarian?
    Yes. Go to the library web page at and click on the Live Help button. Chat is available during normal hours of library service.
  3. How do I find books about my research topic?
    Students can use CAYLIB, the library's online catalog, to find books and periodicals at both campuses. You can access CAYLIB from on- or off-campus. Staff members are happy to show you how to use CAYLIB and how to access your personal library records.
  4. How do I find articles about my topic?
    The library subscribes to over 70 electronic databases which provide access to thousands of periodicals, magazines, journals and newspapers. Students can search these databases from off campus if they have a library card. Go to to request a library card.
  5. How can I find out if the library owns a periodical title I'm looking for?
    To determine if the library has access to a periodical title in print, microform, or electronic format, please go to
  6. Can someone show me where things are in the library?
    Yes. In Auburn, ask at the information or circulation desk. In Fulton, ask at the Library Services Desk or at the Reference Desk.


Inter-Campus Borrowing

  1. What if I'm taking classes in Fulton and want a book or a periodical article that's in Auburn? (Or the other way around?)
    Students can request materials from either campus by completing an Inter-Campus Borrowing request form. In Auburn, ask at the Circulation Desk. In Fulton, ask at the Library Services Desk or at the Reference Desk.
  2. How long will it take for books to arrive from the other campus?
    Requests (from either campus) can take up to 1-3 days to be filled.
  3. Can I borrow an item from Auburn and return it to Fulton?
    Yes, you may return a library item to either campus, regardless of which campus you borrowed it from.